With top-rated golf courses, luxurious spas, world-class festivals, outdoor adventures, and beautiful sunny weather, Palm Springs, California, attracts visitors from around the United States and neighboring countries during all times of the year!
However, you may ask yourself—when is the best time to visit Palm Springs? Well, it depends! Here’s an overview of the highlights of Palm Springs during each season to help you plan the perfect vacation:
Winter in Palm Springs
Winter is a popular time to visit Palm Springs, especially for snowbirds and travelers escaping cold, snowy weather. You’ll still need a sweater in the mornings and evenings during the winter months. However, the daytime temperatures are perfect for outdoor enthusiasts to enjoy hiking, biking, horseback riding, and other fun outdoor activities.
Palm Springs Weather in Winter
December and January offer the mildest temperatures of the year, with average high temperatures between 60°F and 70°F. During these months, the average high temperature is the lowest and, therefore, most comfortable, which makes winter the best time to visit Palm Springs for outdoor activities.
Palm Springs Activities in Winter
- Mt. San Jacinto State Park—Ride the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway to the top of Mt. San Jacinto (gaining 6,000 feet in elevation as you go!). Then, rent ski gear or snowshoes to explore the winter wonderland just minutes away from Palm Springs!
- Modernism Week—This event takes place every February and celebrates mid century architecture and design with home tours, films, lectures, parties, and more.
- Natural Hot Springs—Since the weather is cooler, winter is the best time to visit Palm Springs’ natural springs and top-rated spas.
Spring in Palm Springs
February, March, and April are the most popular months to visit the Coachella Valley, making early spring the “peak season” for Palm Springs.
Not only does the perfect weather make spring an ideal time to visit Palm Springs, but the popular festivals, like Coachella and Stagecoach, are in full swing in April, drawing hundreds of thousands of visitors to Palm Springs during “music festival month.” Palm Springs is also a popular spring break destination, so during springtime, expect to find spring breakers in town soaking up the warm temperatures and vibrant nightlife.
Palm Springs Weather in Spring
Palm Springs has gorgeous weather in the spring, which is why so many festivals are hosted in Indio and Palm Desert during this time of year. In March and April, average high temperatures hover around the mid-80°F, but by May, temperatures begin heating up as summer approaches, usually peaking at 96°F.
Palm Springs Activities in Spring
- Coachella & Stagecoach—Coachella is the premier music festival in the United States hosted in Indio each April. Stagecoach is a country music festival growing in popularity that also takes place in April, just after Coachella.
- Golfing—Spring is a great time to check out some of the top golf courses in Palm Springs, including the Stadium Course at PGA West and Escena Golf Club.
- Downtown Palm Springs—Palm Springs is buzzing with energy in the spring. Head downtown to check out some hotspots for brunch, dinner, and happy hour, like Boozehounds, Farm, and Colony Club Restaurant.
Summer in Palm Springs
During June, July, and August, average summer temperatures hover in the triple digits. However, summer is the “low season” in Palm Springs, so if you are looking for the most affordable prices on flights, accommodations, and activities, summer is by far the best time to visit Palm Springs.
Palm Springs Weather in Summer
July is the hottest month in Palm Springs, with a high temperature of 108°F. However, June and August aren’t much cooler—the high temperature in June is 104°F, and in August, it’s 107°F.
However, despite the high temperatures, Palm Springs experiences very little rainfall in the summer, so you can expect blue skies and low humidity when you visit. Many desert dwellers claim the dry heat makes the hot temperatures “more bearable,” so if you visit Palm Springs during the summer, you’ll have to decide for yourself!
Palm Springs Activities in Summer
- Palm Springs Art Museum—The Palm Springs Art Museum is a must-visit destination regardless of the time of year you visit. However, it’s an especially great way to beat the heat and stay cool in the air conditioning during the summer months.
- HyTides—If you’re traveling to Palm Springs with kids, consider purchasing a day pass to the epic water park at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort. Kids can enjoy the seven pools, giant water slides, lazy river, and splash pad while parents enjoy lounging poolside.
- Day Trip—If you need a break from the hot weather, you may want to take a day trip to San Diego, Carlsbad, Huntington Beach, or another coastal destination with cooler temperatures within driving distance of Palm Springs.
Fall in Palm Springs
If you’re looking to avoid the crowds and the hot weather, the fall months are undoubtedly the best time to visit Palm Springs.
From September to early November, the morning and evening temperatures begin to cool down significantly, which is ideal for exploring the hiking trails in the surrounding mountains or going on nature walks. Plus, the snowbirds typically don’t arrive until after Thanksgiving, so you’ll almost always enjoy fewer crowds when exploring Palm Springs during the fall season.
Palm Springs Weather in Fall
Late fall is the best time to visit Palm Springs if you want to enjoy the most comfortable weather in the Greater Palm Springs area. In September, average highs still hover around 95°F (which is great for poolside lounging!), but by November, the average daily temperature drastically drops to 78°F.
Palm Springs Activities in Fall
- Joshua Tree National Park—Take a day trip to Joshua Tree National Park to marvel at the unique landscapes while enjoying the cool, crisp fall temperatures.
- Tahquitz Canyon Loop Trail—Embark on one of the best hikes in Palm Springs with beautiful views and a waterfall at the trail’s end!
- Romantic Dinner—Make outdoor dining reservations at Chi Chi, Lavender Bistro, or another top-rated restaurant in Palm Springs.
Find Your Perfect Palm Springs Vacation Rental with Savvy VRM
Regardless of which season you choose to visit Palm Springs, Savvy VRM offers tons of beautifully-decorated, spacious places to stay. Browse our short-term vacation rentals to find the perfect “home away from home” in Palm Springs!